Position: OM Technician
Staten Solar is hiring an experienced Solar Service Technician with extensive PV troubleshooting and maintenance knowledge in the commercial Solar space. Our Solar Service Technicians are responsible for participating in the commissioning process, completing service calls, troubleshooting solar array and electrical malfunctions. Must have a top-notch work ethic, excellent punctuality with customers, proactive communication and good documenting skills. Base office is located San Jose, CA. But traveling to the Bakersfield, LA and Sacramento areas will be expected several times per month.
Solar Service Technician Responsibilities
• Receive PV monitoring data, analyze and prepare a pre-trip plan. Estimate materials required and time to complete job.
• Troubleshoot from data first and then onsite to resolve the problem optimizing resources, time and materials.
• Perform preventative and corrective maintenance of Photovoltaic (PV) inverters, strings, solar panels and other components. Capable of identifying/assessing potential future problems.
• Assist in the commissioning of the solar array and monitoring (SCADA) systems during project installation when needed.
• Able to configure optimizers, microinverters and inventers on manufacturer software for correct monitoring.
• Ability to determine when PV systems/components are set up incorrectly in the field.
• Good understanding of the NEC.
• Able to replace/install hardware, PV modules, inverters, monitoring equipment and perform SW updates on inverters.
• Able to perform mechanical/structural mounting of racking, modules and electrical equipment.
• Calibrate/measure electronic components, transmitters and controllers and maintain and submit records.
• Able to perform Electrical wiring of solar array/system (AC and DC)
• Perform voltage, amperage, conductivity and insolation testing using appropriate PPE and electrical meters.
• Prepare reports, if needed to comply with deliverables in O&M contracts
• Help in other areas of preventative and corrective maintenance as directed by manager with minimal supervision
• Attend mandatory training sessions on new products, installation methodology, maintenance and safety
• Follow procedures, instructions and work orders as part of your normal work functions
• Maintains adherence to Company policies, quality, environmental health and safety policies and good housekeeping practices. Identifies gaps in safety standards as well as safety risks in the environment and provides recommendations to higher level technical staff and management
• Carry out any other tasks delegated by the company.
• This is not a full-time position. Willing to work on contract basis (1099 or contractor) (ie per job assigned).
• Able to service the bay area as a local call.
• Able to service the Bakersfield area as a local call.
• Able to service the San Bernardino area as a local call.
• Collaborative Attitude
• Ability to read and comprehend electrical and mechanical schematics, technical manuals, procedures and regulations
• Experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting PV systems is required
• Experience installing all types of grid-tied inverters and be able to work with various ground and roof mount racking systems required: ie Solaredge, Huawei, Canadian Solar/Chint, SMA, Fronius, etc..
• Able to estimate production of any string/inverter, Volt/Amp readings at all connection points.
• 1 Yr of PV System troubleshooting experience is required
• Formal Electrical knowledge/training preferred ie. Journeyman, apprentice, etc.
• Must have understanding of NEC codes that relate to PV installations.
• May perform required travel for extended periods at a time (week long trips)
• Must have good analytical, planning, organization and prioritization skills
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Must be flexible, be able to adapt to new situations, have self-control in dealing with challenging situations and have high integrity
• Competent skills using Microsoft office suite: Outlook, Excel, Word
• Must have own smartphone (ie iphone or android based phone)
Job Type: Contractor/per job
• Solar Installation: 1 year
• Work references required (3)